15 Questions to Ask During an Interview
Interviews aren’t just for an employer to ask questions about why the candidate would be a good fit! Candidates should take this opportunity to ask the company questions to make their own decision about if the company/team/culture would be a good fit for you.
Before your interview, research the company and make a list of questions that will help you not only make a good first impression (being prepared shows you are interested in the role) but also help you gain insight on company goals, culture, growth opportunity (if there is any) and skills needed to be successful in the role.
Here are a few examples of questions to ask during an interview to move beyond the job description:
About the Position
- How will the performance of the employee in this position be judged? What accounts for success?
- What are some of the more difficult problems one would have to face in this position? How do you think these could be best handled?
- What are the most important skills, work experiences and accomplishments a candidate must possess to be successful in this position? Why?
- What freedom would I have in determining my work objectives, deadlines, and methods of measurement?
- What is not being done now that they need/want or must be done by this position?
- What must the candidate hired for this position accomplish over the first 3 to 6 or 9 months? What will the candidate hired for this position most likely need to accomplish beyond these immediate needs once needs are met?
- What other criteria do you consider essential when you’re evaluating a candidate for this position? Why?
- What type of support does this position receive in terms of people, finances, etc.?
- Where could an employee go who is successful in this position and within what time frame?
About the Company
- What, about the company, convinced you to join and/or stay throughout the years?
- How would you describe the company work environment?
- How would you describe the management philosophy?
- What are the most important personal skills and characteristics for a candidate to possess to be a fit for your company’s environment/culture? Why?
- In what ways has this company been most successful in terms of products and services over the years?
- What significant changes do you foresee in the near future?
Want to know more about interviewing or how we help our IT and Engineering professionals achieve their career goals? Let’s schedule a brief call so you can learn more about how we can help you achieve your goals!